Personality (detail) Copyright Susannah Bolton 2011

Sunday

Personality

I was thinking about meeting all the new people in halls and at college tomorrow - what do I say? Is my name Susannah or Susie? Am I English from Scotland or Scottish with English parents or simply British? Which accent do I use?
How much do we make up or gloss over when we meet people? Are we true to our real selves or does that just come with time? 
I made this using the photo I handed in for my student ID and an old Moleskine notebook - 
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Each cutout shape is almost imperceptibly different from the previous - each day we know a person our knowledge of their identity changes as we learn about them or as they change as people. It often goes unnoticed until, upon reflection, we realise that the person we met isn't quite the person we know.
I then stuck all of the cutouts, including the original cutout from a photo booth photo onto my sketchbook for college tomorrow.
Seeing all of the cutouts together also highlights the progression of outline - 
-
-
-
-
-

-
And the three spares on the inside cover -
Personality - the pattern of collective character, behavioral, temperamental, emotional, and mental traits of a person -
-sb 

No comments:

Post a Comment